Charlie Winter comes on the show to talk about Islamic State propaganda. The basis for our discussion is Charlie’s recent paper “The Virtual Caliphate: Understanding Islamic State’s Propaganda Strategy” (PDF). The topics we covered include:
- Islamic State propaganda that doesn’t focus on brutality
- How IS propaganda strategy has evolved
- The ability of Islamic State to control their message
- Efforts to counter Islamic State propaganda
Adam Baron comes back on the show to discuss the ongoing war and humanitarian crisis in Yemen. Topics we covered include:
- Background on the events that lead to the current situation
- The problems Yemen was facing prior to the past few months of fighting
- Recent failures to establish a humanitarian cease fire
- Realistic chances that a cease fire could happen soon
- AQAP taking advantage of the chaos and controlling territory
- Lack of urgency in the international community to solving the conflict
- Who in the international community could have a positive influence on the situation
- How the Yemeni public views the conflict
Thanks to patrons of the podcast Andrew, Alex, Scott, David, and Melissa. You can support the podcast by making a small donation on Patreon!
Tinderbox – a personal content assistant that helps you visualize, analyze, and share your notes. Download and try it today!