Michael Stephens comes back on the show to discuss the United Kingdom’s efforts to fight the Islamic State in Syria, as well as the latest developments in the diplomatic process seeking to bring an end to the conflict. Some of the topics covered include:
- Background on UK foreign policy towards the conflict in Syria over the past few years
- The scars of the Iraq war and how they influence the perception of the conflict in Syria
- The unique military capabilities that the UK brings to the anti-IS coalition
- The need to separate UK and European domestic security issues and the fight against IS held territory
- Why the UK is unlikely to increase its role in Syria, such as sending ground troops
- The recent UN Security Council resolution on Syria
- Michael Stephens (@MStephensGulf) on Twitter
- Stephens | RUSI
- Into the Valley of Death – Newsweek Middle East
- Karl Morand (@KarlMorand) on Twitter‘
Winterfest – Great deals on some of the best software for students, journalists, and researchers! Till January 1st you can save 25% on apps like Bookends, Tinderbox, Nisus Writer Pro, Scrivener, and more! Visit the Winterfest site to read more, download free trials, and save on these great apps.
Thanks to Andrew, Alex, David De Bruijn, Wendy Plotkin, Adam Smith International, and Ryan Gell for supporting the show. If you’d like to make a small, monthly donation to help support the podcast, please check out the show’s Patreon page.