Lisa Goldman, contributing editor at +972 Magazine and a fellow at New America, comes on the show to discuss recent events in Israeli politics. Topics covered include:
- Background on the events leading up to Israel’s recent election
- Israel becoming a partisan issue in the U.S.
- Netanyahu’s narrow majority in the Knesset & his preference for the status quo
- The Obama – Netanyahu relationship
- Issues that are driving Israeli domestic politics
- The growing wealth gap in Israel
- Ayman Odeh and the Joint List
Thanks to patron Sandin Rekic. You can support the podcast by making a small donation on Patreon!
Aaron Stein comes back on the show to discuss Turkey’s upcoming election, their fight against ISIS, and relations with Saudi Arabia. Topics we covered include:
- An overview of the key political parties and politicians in Turkey
- Constitutional changes Erdogan and the AKP are pursuing
- Potential backlash AKP could face for pushing for a presidential system
- Kurdish politicians’ decision to run as a political party, as opposed to running as individual independent candidates
- The evolution of how Turkey views the ISIS threat
- Turkey’s strategy to fight ISIS in Syria
- Turkey’s lack of influence in Iraq, and how that effects their view of ISIS
- The rapprochement between Turkey and Saudi Arabia
Thanks to patrons Andrew and David de Bruijn. You can support the podcast by making a small donation on Patreon!
Check out the podcast’s Facebook page.
Please rate and review the show in iTunes.
Thomas Hegghammer comes back on the show to discuss his work studying jihadi culture. He recently gave a lecture titled Why Terrorists Weep: The Socio-Cultural Practices of Jihadi Militants (PDF). Topics we covered include:
- What “jihadi culture” means, and why it’s worth studying
- Challenges in separating cultural practices from military ones
- The practical applications of this area of study
- Regional differences in jihadi culture
- Relevance of studying jihadi culture for improving CVE programs
- Jihadi leader’s strategic use of cultural practices
- Jihadis adopting Sufi practices
Please rate & review the show in iTunes
Check out the podcast on Facebook
Thanks to Scott Herbert for supporting the podcast. You can help support the show by making a small donation on Patreon!